Welcome Guest!

You will require an account to use selected functions within these forums. You can create a profile by clicking the register button in the top left-hand corner of your screen. In the meantime welcome to BlackmagicUser and good luck in all your endeavours. ....................PS - We're Tapatalk-ready if you prefer to browse through mobile or android devices. Listed as Blackmagic User.

• Photo

PL Mount Options

PL Mount EF to PL Cinema

• Please log in to reply

#1 gavinkeen

gavinkeen
    • Members
    • 2 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hey,

Ive seen some pictures in the gallery with the BMC fitted with an optimo. Just wondering if anyone has heard of the best EF to PL options.

thanks

Gavin

Edit -

Posted Image
    • BlackmagicUser, Rex Orwell and Tech like this

#2 Victor Gregory

Victor Gregory
    • Members
    • 1 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

That looks awesome!

#3 Brian Troy Films

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

I happened to find this company, KCWtechnica. They make a PL to EF adaptor which looks very interesting. I need to find out more, but if it works on the DLSRs, then why wouldn't it work on the BMCC? Below is a link to a video of theirs showing the workings of their adaptor.

• BlackmagicUser and Rex Orwell like this

#4 Eric Diosay

Eric Diosay
    • Members
    • 4 posts
    Show Profile Fields
    • Twitter:Click
      Producer

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm hoping the likes of Illya Friedman of Hot Rod Cameras will come up with something. HRC adapters are robust and they work. I'll wait on more word from people using the KCW. It's known to have focus issues and needs shimming.

#5 Ryan E. Walters

Ryan E. Walters
    • Moderators
    • 145 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

Unfortunately, the EF mount on this camera will prevent you from using 80% of the PL lenses out there. Ugh! It all has to do with the Flange distance combined with the physicality of the EF mount. Most PL lenses are too long / thick and will not work even with a PL mount. Bummer ... However, this only applies to Prime lenses. A lot of PL Zoom lenses will work. (Which if you take a look at the BMDCC cameras with PL lenses, you'll see that they are all zoom lenses. :) The few PL Primes that are know to work are the Zeiss CP series. From the research that I've done, for a PL lens to fit onto a camera with a PL to EF adapter it has to conform to the measurements in this picture:
    Posted Image

I've also heard good things about this guy- and I'm thinking of picking one of these up just in case ...
    http://en.foto-akces...ri-pl-canon-eos
    • BlackmagicUser, Rex Orwell and Eric Diosay like this
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

#6 Ryan E. Walters

Ryan E. Walters
    • Moderators
    • 145 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:47 AM

By the way, I just ordered on of those, and I'll let you all know how it goes when it and my camera arrives. I'm hoping that since there isn't a mirror on the BMDCC, that those measurements no longer apply ...
    • BlackmagicUser and Tech like this
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

#7 gavinkeen

gavinkeen
    • Members
    • 2 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:34 AM

Amazing info! thanks for the reply. Look forward to hearing your results.

#8 Bernd Wondollek

Bernd Wondollek
    • Members
    • 2 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

thought the "only zooms work" issue only applied to dslr`s that still have their mirror in place....??
    witch the bmd camera hasn`t got in the first place...

#9 Ryan E. Walters

Ryan E. Walters
    • Moderators
    • 145 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

That's what I'm hoping is the case. But from the people that I've talked with who are much smarter then I am, they say there is a good chance that it will not work on the Black Magic. Here is hoping they are wrong ... :) I'll post back as soon as I can officially test it out. :)
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com

#10 Bernd Wondollek

Bernd Wondollek
    • Members
    • 2 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

just learned that pl converted 5 and 7d`s by denz or fgv have a lot more ripped out than only the mirror, so the "zooms or very short flange" rule is still existing...
    • Rex Orwell likes this

#11 Marcel B.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Has anyone used the Zeiss ZF lenses?

I used the 28mm Zeiss ZF and it has 'lens breathing' but its a great piece of glass especially with the Canon EF mount options.

The KCWtechnica adapter is a great idea, hoping someone will post a review once the camera is out.
    • Tech likes this

#12 BlackmagicUser

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Has anyone used the Zeiss ZF lenses?

I used the 28mm Zeiss ZF and it has 'lens breathing' but its a great piece of glass especially with the Canon EF mount options.

The KCWtechnica adapter is a great idea, hoping someone will post a review once the camera is out.

Zeiss ZE or ZF.2 lenses were detailed by AbleCine here :

http://www.blackmagi...e/#.UDjdLqBEN8E

#13 Ryan E. Walters

Ryan E. Walters
    • Moderators
    • 145 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

The first set of lenses that I got when I originally bought my Red One were the Zeiss ZF.1 lenses. (I Then started upgrading to PL mount lenses.) Optically, I found the ZF lenses to be great. (Not master primes mind you, but for the money, I think they are some of the best lenses out there.) For a budget filmmaker, I think they are a solid choice. Most of the lenses have a longer focus throw then a lot of other SLR lenses, which is nice. (Not as long of a throw as PL glass - but usually more then 180 degrees of travel)

The only benefit that I see in going to the CP.2's is mechanics of the lenses, as optically the ZE/ZF's are the same. With the CP's you get more focus travel, a lot more markings, and a common front size. But if money is tight, go with the ZE/ZF's and have Matthew Duclos do the cine mod for you. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. :)

Here is a test that I shot comparing a bunch of affordable PL lenses, and the CP's are in there: Portland Lens Test
    • BlackmagicUser, Rex Orwell, Tech and 1 other like this
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com

#14 Marcel B.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

The first set of lenses that I got when I originally bought my Red One were the Zeiss ZF.1 lenses. (I Then started upgrading to PL mount lenses.) Optically, I found the ZF lenses to be great. (Not master primes mind you, but for the money, I think they are some of the best lenses out there.) For a budget filmmaker, I think they are a solid choice. Most of the lenses have a longer focus throw then a lot of other SLR lenses, which is nice. (Not as long of a throw as PL glass - but usually more then 180 degrees of travel)

The only benefit that I see in going to the CP.2's is mechanics of the lenses, as optically the ZE/ZF's are the same. With the CP's you get more focus travel, a lot more markings, and a common front size. But if money is tight, go with the ZE/ZF's and have Matthew Duclos do the cine mod for you. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. :)

Here is a test that I shot comparing a bunch of affordable PL lenses, and the CP's are in there: Portland Lens Test

Cheers for your input, will look into it :)

#15 Ryan E. Walters

Ryan E. Walters
    • Moderators
    • 145 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

So I just got my adapter (EF to PL) in from Foto-Ackesoria, and I wanted to confirm that it indeed is limited to the specs in the photo that I posted above. I tried to put the adapter on my Cooke Panchro /i lens and it did not fit. It has to do with the size of the EOS mount and the length of the back of the lens. I'll be testing it out with the CP lenses soon- it "should" work with those ... hopefully ...
    • BlackmagicUser likes this
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com

#16 Ryan E. Walters

Ryan E. Walters
    • Moderators
    • 145 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

So I just got my hands on the CP.1's - it looks like they are mere millimeters away from working. So close, but yet so far ... ugh ... I have to get my hands on the CP.2's to see if it works with those ... otherwise it looks like the adapter from Foto Akcesoria is going to be a no-go for prime lenses ... :(

CP.1's with the adapter:
    Posted Image
    • Tech likes this
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com

#17 Eric Diosay

Eric Diosay
    • Members
    • 4 posts
    Show Profile Fields
    • Twitter:Click
      Producer

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Well, here's the solution, then. A Micro 4/3 version that allows for PL and other mounts - http://www.dslrnewss...micro-43-mount/ via Dan Chung aka @dslrinformer

#18 Ryan E. Walters

Ryan E. Walters
    • Moderators
    • 145 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Yep, December release- if they can get it to market in time ... Here is the official word from Blackmagic (Luke Maslen):

"Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT

Since the Blackmagic Cinema Camera was announced we have been overwhelmed by the fantastic response. We have also been extremely happy with the response to the first shipments and have already seen some wonderful work done on them.

We started shipping a few weeks ago, however the Cinema Camera is a highly advanced piece of equipment and it uses a large amount of high quality precision parts to build it. Some components are coming into our factory slower than we expected and this has caused the manufacturing of the cameras to slow.

We expect to have this sorted out over the next few weeks and then can speed up and get more cameras delivered. In the mean time, our engineering has not been slowed down at all and we are continuing to develop the next software update with new features for release very soon.

We have also been working on a Passive Micro Four Thirds model of the camera. People have been asking for this as there are a lot of nice high end manually operated MFT lenses on the market, and the MFT mount can also be easily adapted to PL and other lens mounts using third party adapters.

The new Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT is expected to ship in December, and will be the same price as the original model. It’s identical in features as they are both the same camera, just with different lens mounts. The price will also be the same at $2,995. We will be working with our dealers to help people change their orders if they want.

http://www.blackmagi...iccinemacamera/ "

• Tech likes this
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com

#19 Brian Troy Films

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

So I guess the question is, how many people are going to cancel their EF BMC order and Pre-Order the BMC MFT? I've been waiting a while for this camera, but this news is quite interesting. It really changes things up here doesn't it?

#20 the filming dutchman ©

the filming dutchman ©
    • Members
    • 2 posts
    Show Profile Fields
    • Company:Holland Heritage
    • Website 1:Click
    • Youtube:Click
    • Email: Contact me
      Cinematographer /director/ producer

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Lenses for BMC? I remember a funny not scientific lens test, by a bunch of Boston area shooters about 1 year ago, for a informal look at how lenses of different costs (between $ 450 - $ 18.000 looked on the same camera, a Panasonic Af 100 (about the same sensor as BMC) in the same scene. Is this worth the big price difference? Judge for yourself ...
    http://benjamineckst...ens-test-party/
    • Tech likes this

#21 the filming dutchman ©

the filming dutchman ©
    • Members
    • 2 posts
    Show Profile Fields
    • Company:Holland Heritage
    • Website 1:Click
    • Youtube:Click
    • Email: Contact me
      Cinematographer /director/ producer

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Sorry! I meant of course, almost the same sensor size as BMC!

#22 Ryan E. Walters

Ryan E. Walters
    • Moderators
    • 145 posts
    Show Profile Fields

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Fun test. :) For the average viewer, I highly doubt anyone will ever be able to tell or notice a difference between a pristine $100 DSLR lens, and an Ultra Prime. However, I know there is a big difference between working with each of those lenses on set, and I can see a difference in the image and in that test. I think the subtle differences do have an impact on the audiences perception of the final video. However, if the story sucks to begin with, using Ultra Primes on your project, isn't going to save it ...

Personally, I'm of the belief that you should use the best you can afford in pursuit of telling a compelling story. As much as I can geek out over the tech side of things, if you need to save a bit on the tech side of the budget to be able to put it into the story side of the budget, then that is where it should go. Sure, I'll notice the visual difference, but I'm only 1 - 5% of the audience ... :)
    • Tech likes this
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com

#23 BlackmagicUser

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

^ Knowledge.

Like your sig suggests.

If I see something I've never seen before from the 70's, yeah sure image quality etc is a factor in anything, but the real assessment begins with story, casting, acting, writing, soundtrack all the usual fundamentals.

A good example would be Ken Loache's work from the late 80's and early 90's. Very rough grainy images, but his films still typically end up in my top 30-100. Raining Stones would be worth a mention.

#24 Brian Troy Films

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Any Hawk lens fans here?

I'm really curious about the new Hawk Vintage '74's they're coming out with. The V-Lites I think are amazing in color.

I know we've talked a lot about PL lenses in this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows if the Hawks will fit on the BMCC via EF to PL adapter? Obviously we've all seen the pictures of the optimo on the BMCC and I just recently saw the BMCC fitted with the Canon Cine glass via John Brawley. I believe he was using the Canon Cine glass 30-300mm EF (maybe the PL version)? Thoughts?
    • Tech likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PL Mount, EF to PL, Cinema

blackmagicuser.net is a third party website